This blog was founded on the belief United States of America is a nation where the individual is empowered by God; by virtue of the rights He has bestowed upon all men. And that the responsibility of our representatives, at all levels of government, is to be agents of the people and of individual rights and freedom against excessive government regulation rather than allies of the government against the people. It is only through action of a free people that liberty is able to flourish, grow and expand; this is one small effort to that end.

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

I CANNOT

On a dark and moonless night I look up
and can see a million miles away
as the way off stars of the Milky Way
sparkle across the expansive distance.
But, I cannot look into to your dark beautiful eyes
as they twinkle with love and mischief.

I can hear the roaring of cargo plane engines
as they land on the runway
and helicopter rotars as they lift off the ground  
But, I cannot hear our children laughing and begging me
to spin them around, one more time.

I can smell the acrid oder of fires burning
in the distance and of jet fuel exhaust
rising from the airfield.
But, I cannot smell  your perfume
that gently wafts through the air
to let me know that you have been here.

I am here and you are there.
separated by thousands of miles,
continents and oceans,
on the other side of earth.

But, I cannot escape feeling for you
the same as I did when we first met.
I cannot avoid needing you
as much as I ever did.
And, I cannot ask for a more perfect person
to call “My Love.”

To my wife Tania
From Foward Operating Base Salerno

No comments:

Post a Comment